This recipe is featured in the free story, The Present, which is part of The Bartonville Series.
Bacon & Blue Cheese Potato Bowls
Author: Janel Gradowski (http://www.janelgradowski.com)
- 2 large, russet potatoes (or 4 small)
- Olive or canola oil
- 8 oz. white button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Blue Cheese Sauce (Can be prepared in advance)
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ c. (or more) milk
- ½ c. blue cheese crumbles*
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil. Scrub potatoes, cut into cubes and put on cookies sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle generously with salt (seasoned salt can be used) and pepper. Toss to coat evenly and bake for 30-40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes, until browned and tender.
- While the potatoes bake saute the mushrooms and onions in butter in a medium skillet until softened. Keep warm. Prepare the sauce by mixing together the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk until smooth, adding more 1 tablespoon at a time if it is too thick. Stir in blue cheese and set aside or refrigerate if preparing ahead of time.
- To assemble, divide roasted potatoes evenly among two bowls. Top with mushroom mixture, blue cheese sauce and crumbled bacon.
- *If you don't care for blue cheese, it can replaced with other cheeses like crumbled feta or shredded cheddar. You can also leave the cheese out completely to make a sour cream sauce.